Oh What A Year!

May 4, 2014


For the majority of you, you were able to follow us on Facebook and pick up where my last entry left off.  I was often asked why I stopped writing the blog.  There were two reasons as explained below.

The first is quite simple - I couldn't write.  Along with a host of other pregnancy-related issues (if there was a pregnancy side-effect to be had, I had it!), I developed severe carpal tunnel syndrome.  It was impossible for me to do anything with my hands, including typing.  It was so severe that I was not able to sleep at night and would wake up with an insane amount of burning in my hands, particularly my left (dominant) hand that would have me walking the floors and sobbing.  I tried every type of glove and remedy known to woman, but pretty much it had to run its course.  I still have a lot of numbness and pain in my left hand well over a year later, particularly first thing in the morning.  My OB felt my hand issues were also related to the extreme amount of amniotic fluid and that I might have permanent nerve damage from it. I think that might be the case, but it's liveable.

My second reason was that I was given so much information, so many prenatal diagnosis, that I was often having a very difficult time processing.  I honestly did not know how I felt about things on a day to day basis.  Writing might have been cathartic, but I was not able to, either physically or emotionally, put pen to paper, so to speak.

So, instead of revisiting what most of you already know, I will give you the Cliff Notes version of how the pregnancy, birth, and first year of Annabel's incredible life.

Pregnancy


  • Found out about Down syndrome at 15 weeks pregnant
  • Found out about AVSD (heart defect) a few weeks after that at the 20-week ultrasound
  • Found out about Duodenal Atresia a few weeks after that
  • Developed Gestational Diabetes, Severe Carpal Tunnel, Tore tendon in my left heel due to excess weight from massive amount of fluid, early development of Symphasis Pubis Dysfunction (basically, my ligaments separated VERY early in the pregnancy due to excess relaxin and progesterone, causing severe pain, making it almost impossible to walk - I ended up using a walker around the house most of the time I was in such severe pain), gum hyperplasia (resulting in having a large flap of skin that developed behind my front teeth removed the week before delivery. This had to be done with no anesthesia since I was pregnant), and the list goes on with all the typical issues, such as nausea, etc.  I had some very atypical side-effect, which were often very puzzling to my youngest OB (I had 5 OBs during my pregnancy - so special! haha) 
Annabel was born 5 weeks early when I went in for my routine (if you can call twice a week ultrasounds "routine").  I had excess amniotic fluid due to her duodenal atresia, and they had done a large draw the week prior to birth.  I had, up until the day before she was born, been asymptomatic, but the night before my ultrasound I had developed a sharp pain on my left side and was unable to breathe well in any position. I remember being very afraid that last night at home.  I was sleeping in the guest room, unable to climb up into my own bed due to the severe pain of Pubis Symphasis Dysfunction (yet another side effect I was "blessed" with), and lay awake willing Annabel to move so that I would know she was okay.  I had a feeling I might be admitted, so I had my bag packed and ready in the car.  

Sure enough, upon hearing about my symptoms they immediately admitted me on 3/14/2013.  Too much amniotic fluid can be very dangerous for both mother and baby.  It could cause placental abruption or cord prolapse, both of which could be fatal for the baby.  

My brother-in-law and husband were my labor coaches.  I am so thankful to my brother-in-law.  My husband and I were high school sweethearts, so I have known his brother since then.  Like my husband, he is a nurse, so I knew I was in good hands with my wonderful L&D nurse Amy, and my husband and his brother.  Randy stayed up all night with me, keeping me company as I was took nervous, anxious and excited to sleep.  And he stayed until Annabel was born and he knew we were both okay. 

moments before being wheeled into the operating room


The 27 hours of labor was pretty easy since I had received an epidural early on. The horrific parts were receiving the epidural (done by a resident, took over an hour, my blood pressure bottomed out and I passed out - attending called in and he got it right in, but now I have residual pain from the resident's attempt) and the delivery itself.  I continually passed out from the extreme pain.  I could feel everything and it literally felt like my insides were being pulled up through my body toward my stomach.  They could not give me more anesthesia until Annabel was out, so I drifted in and out of consciousness to a flurry of activity and voices calling, "stay with me," (the anesthesiologist, I assume).  I do remember hearing Annabel's cry, and Rusty and I looking at each other, both of us in tears.  I remember them holding Annabel up to me, but my vision was so blurred and I was so out of it that I couldn't see her.  I remember worrying that she might be deformed  (those ultrasound pictures are often pretty odd-looking!). I remember a woman exclaiming, "Look at all that black hair! She's beautiful, mama!" And I smiled and closed my eyes, and drifted off yet again.  My memories of Annabel's miraculous birth are only in bits and pieces.  They rushed her away to the NICU at the Children's Hospital, which seemed a world away, and Rusty went with her, which was something we had decided ahead of time that he would do.  I suddenly felt very alone and very afraid, but they took good care of me, and when I was wheeled out of the OR more than an hour later, there was Rusty waiting for me (a worried look on his face, because he was not allowed back in to be with me), and the rest of my family.  


Annabel Leora, Friday, March 15, 2013 at 4:47pm - 6lbs, 6 oz, 19.5" 


I was in a lot of pain, even with heavy narcotics on board, but I desperately wanted to see my baby.  I was not allowed out of bed and Annabel was literally a hospital away (the Children's Hospital and Main Hospital where I was, are connected but are a good distance from each other).  There was a medical concern with me and if a particular blood test came back too high I was going to have to have a medication, which meant 24 additional hours in bed, so if I was going to see her I had a small window to do so.  So, at 3 am, the earliest I was allowed to get out of bed after having the C-section, my nurse called the NICU at the Children's Hospital, and told them mama was coming to see her baby! She and Rusty wheeled me up the long hill through the hallway that separated the two hospitals.  Seeing my baby for the first time was indescribable.  I cannot even describe the joy I felt.  There she was! My daughter, the baby I had waited all my life and 22 years of marriage for. Thankfully, my medical issue proved to be a false alarm, so I was not put on 24-hour "bed arrest" :-) 

seeing Annabel for the first time, me looking every bit as exhausted as I felt


Three days later Annabel had her first surgery - duodenal atresia.  The 34 days she spent in the NICU were some of the most stressful times in our life.  Little did we know that the next 6 months would be some of the hardest days we would ever endure as we watched our precious baby girl fight for her life. It would rock us to the core, challenging our sanity and our marriage.  But we all survived it, and here we are.  Annabel is now 13 months old and thriving beautifully! 

To Date:
Separate Stays in the hospital: 5
Total Days in the Hospital: 98
Total ER Visits: 4
Number of Surgeries: 4

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to the countless prayers and unending support from our family, friends and strangers we are not even aware of.  We could not have made it through the past year without you, and we are truly grateful for the love we and our precious Annabel have been shown.  








No comments:

Post a Comment